Monday, October 8, 2012

Aung San Suu Kyi

In a conversation between The NewYork Time's Bill Keller and Aung San Suu Kyi (#ASSK) about #Rohingya - #Burma 
------------

Bill Keller: Talk about the Rohingya [Muslim minority in Rakhine state, in western Myanmar.] There’s a sense of disappointment that you haven’t been outspoken about human rights abuses against them.

ASSK: I’ve always spoken out against human rights abuses but not against a particular community. That I’m totally against and I know that people want me to, they want strong and colorful condemnation, which I won’t do, because I don’t think it helps. If you condemn one community that makes the other community more hostile towards that community, not towards to me. People forget that when they condemn one community that community gets very resentful. This has actually taken place in Rakhine. Some Buddhists there feel resentment because they feel so much sympathy has been given to the Muslim community when they too are poor and underprivileged. And of course in the recent troubles violence is committed by both sides. So how am I supposed to condemn one side when violence was committed by both? Basically I’m against all human rights abuses and I strongly stand by the principle that human rights must be protected by the rule of law. But I do not think that condemning one community is going to help the other or vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment